Monday, June 23, 2008

CSA Week 1


Not CSI, one of my dad's favorite shows... it's CSA -- Community Supported Agriculture. We are now proud members of Fresh Earth Farms CSA. Well, I should clarify. I'm proud and Lynden's waiting to see how long the excitement will last and how many vegetables he's actually going to have to eat. Quick background on the CSA: you buy a share and weekly you go pick up your share of vegetables from the farm, which are grown chemical free and picked hours prior to me showing up.

Today's bounty only included two things I have never eaten before - kohlrabi and bok choi. They are both quite scary looking. Both were described to be bulbous, alien green things - and that was a very accurate description, since mine still have the leaves attached. I've included a picture of kohlrabi for your viewing pleasure (above). We also received lettuce, green onions and broccoli.
If anyone has any recipes for kohlrabi or bok choi, please let me know. I found a recipe for Kohlrabi and Apple slaw, which I think I'm going to try tonight.
Toss Up: Who's more likely to try the slaw recipe: Lynden or Sadie?

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I have steamed or boiled bok choy and then put sesame oil and soy sauce on it. Sesame seeds are yummy too.