Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The first tomato...



Pardon me, I'm going to take a little break from blogging and turn this into a garden journal....

The first red tomato appeared today. Actually I spied one yesterday, but it wasn't red enough. Today there were two ready for picking!

These are the moby grape tomatoes, the other plant is for roma tomatoes.





Notes for next year - I bought them as individual plants from the Linders flower mart shortly after Mother's Day. They've been hanging out on the south side of the house since.

The romas had what we think is blossom end rot. At least, that's whay my CSA farm expert Chris told me. He thinks it a deficiency in calcium and the plant will figure out how to get more calcium to the fruit as it continues to grow. So I picked the fruit that had the rot (brown mushy circle at the bottom), leaving a couple as an experiment. I bet I tossed at least 12 into the compost bin. But there are plenty more without any rot waiting to grow and ripen.

South side of the house is going very well. One plant per pot is definitely key for these guys - good decision this year.

No comments: