
I had a great plan for how we were going to decorate the Christmas Tree together as a family and have a nice holiday-themed evening together. I think I even had managed my own expectations down to a reasonable level since we do still have a 3 year old with a short attention span.
So the plan was: (1) Get Kilen down for nap (2) Put tree up and lights on tree before Kilen wakes up (3) When Kilen and Elsie wake up, Kilen helps me put the ornaments on the tree while we listen to Christmas music, (4) We eat something yummy, drink cider or hot chocolate, and finally (5) Watch a 30 minute Christmas show that I had Tivo'd earlier that week. Side note: Lynden was totally on board.
Here's what actually happened: (1) Kilen refused to nap. We spent a good hour or more trying to get him to stay in his room. Every time we thought we were close, Lynden or I would start to drift off to sleep ourselves, but then be jolted awake by one of the kids waking up. Side note: this makes parents very crabby. (2) The tree was up, but lights did not get on the tree before we gave up on nap. (3) After giving up on nap, I was determined to salvage our fun evening. Kilen helped me untangle the lights and place the ornaments. Which meant it was the fastest tree decorating in my personal history. We barely remembered to turn on the Christmas music. (4) I don't remember what we ate - it was likely leftovers or PBJ. There was no cider or hot chocolate in the house. (5) In the process of coaxing our dear sweat child to sleep earlier we revoked his tv watching privileges for the day. Nuts! So we resorted to coloring for a little bit before it was time for our dear sweat crazy child to go to bed early. Yes, he wore a Vikings helmet for part of the time he was coloring.
It wasn't what I had planned, but Lynden and I laughed a lot (more so after Kilen was finally in bed) and we made some memories. Kilen told me the tree looked "bootiful", and my heart melted.

No comments:
Post a Comment