Friday, September 19, 2008

CSA Update

Well, the summer is wrapping up and we are now moving into the cooler fall crops with our CSA. They are also looking for members to pre-sign for the next season by offering a little members-only discount. I'm still debating.

The list of pros is:
  • I like the food.
  • I like that it's farmed using organic practices.
  • It's cheaper than the grocery store.
  • It's forced me to try new things.
  • I like knowing where my food came from.
  • I'd like to volunteer at the farm... someday... maybe.
  • The weekly newsletters are funny and informative. (see quote below)
  • I like supporting local farmers.

The list of cons is:

  • It's a bit of a drive out there, takes me 40-60 minutes round trip to get the veggies once a week.
  • We haven't yet eaten all of our vegetables during the week. (on the plus side the compost heap has benefitted.)
  • Lots of cabbage.

As you can see, the pros are winning so far. I think we'll sign up again next year. I'm really looking forward to the fall foods and freezing food for winter. (I already have two full Ziploc bags of pureed tomatoes in the freezer!)

The newsletters we get are often entertaining as well. Here's a bit from the last one:

"The good news is the rain this weekend provided much needed water to all the
plants. The bad news is it increased the incidence of disease on the
tomatoes.

The bad news is we had a bit of frost last week. The good news is frost
improves the flavor of Brussels sprouts.

The good news is we’ve had a lot of cabbage this season. The bad news
is we’ve had a lot of cabbage this season.

The good news is we no longer have a corn earworm problem. The bad news
is we no longer have sweet corn."

No comments: